A babysitter usually babysits in the parent's home for a few hours during the evening, but can also babysit for children staying with their parents in hotels or at weddings and other venues.
Babysitters do not require to have childcare qualifications; however, it is essential that applicants have experience in caring for young children. The minimum age of babysitters working for Lothian Childcare Solutions is 18 years.
We expect babysitters to have experience and a very good knowledge of:
- how to meet children’s basic needs
- how to interact with children using age appropriate activities that match their interests
- how to identify and deal with a child protection concern. Staff should be willing to keep their knowledge up to date by undertaking relevant training
- child first aid and work toward a certificate in first aid
- safe food handling.
1. Express interest by competing our registration form or sending us your C.V.
2. Complete our application form, which can be downloaded, emailed or posted to you.
3. If from your application form, we consider you to have the right level of skills and abilities, we will arrange for you to have a face-to-face interview.
4. At the interview, we will ask you to bring with you:
- confirmation that you are legally entitled to work in the UK, passport or identity card and National Insurance number
- certificates confirming any qualifications
- your most recent certificate confirming PVG scheme membership (if applicable)
- your completed PVG scheme membership form and appropriate fee (see below)
- SSSC registration certificate (if you have one)
- any other registration with a professional body e.g. Nursing and Midwifery Council or General Teaching Council
- your bank details to set up payroll
If your interview is successful, we will countersign your PVG scheme membership application or renewal. To speed up the recruitment process, we will do this at the interview. You should bring with you:
- previous PVG scheme membership certificate or Disclosure certificate (if you have one)
- your passport
- two forms of ID, one of which must have a photograph of you (your passport can be used). Others include, birth certificate, utility bill with address, photographic driving licence
- list of all previous addresses in the last 10 years
- the disclosure fee, which is currently £59 for new applicants or £18 for an Existing PVG scheme member application.
Note: you are unable to start a babysitting job until we receive a satisfactory PVG Scheme membership certificate. Please see our page with details of the PVG Scheme Membership and Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
Once we are satisfied that you have met the criteria for a babysitting role, we will inform you of what jobs we have that you might be interested in.
Rates of pay are dependent on experience.
Further information on both PVG membership and SSSC can be found at the following links: