Early Learning and Childcare Recruitment
Early Learning and Childcare workers work within childcare services such as playgroups, nurseries, breakfast, after school and holiday clubs. We can recruit for permanent positions or temporary to cover staff holidays, sickness absence or staff shortages.
Early Learning and Childcare workers should preferably have or be working toward a relevant childcare qualification. It is essential however that all applicants have experience in caring for young children in a childcare setting. The minimum age of early learning and childcare workers working for Lothian Childcare Solutions is 18 years.
We expect all early learning and childcare staff to:
- demonstrate their experience and knowledge of working with and meeting the needs of children under 8 years in a childcare setting.
- demonstrate how they effectively interact with children using age appropriate activities that match their interests.
- demonstrate how they would identify and deal with a child protection concern. Staff should be willing to keep their knowledge up to date by undertaking child protection training.
- hold a child first aid certificate or work toward this.
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of promoting positive behaviour with children.
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of good practice in relation to infection control, including hand washing and nappy changing.
- demonstrate an understanding of safe food handling.
All applicants will be expected to:
- apply for PVG scheme membership or update. Currently £59 for new applicants or £18 for an Existing PVG Scheme Member application.
- obtain registration with SSSC within six months of starting employment with Lothian Childcare Solutions. Applications are submitted around eight weeks after starting If you hold a relevant childcare related qualification recognised by the SSSC, you will be registered under the appropriate part of the register. If you do not hold a relevant recognised qualification, you will be required to undertake and complete a relevant qualification within a timescale set by the SSSC, usually 3-5 years. You will be able to work within a childcare setting for this time to gain practical experience. We will assist and support all applications for SSSC Registration. You will no longer be employed by us if you are not registered with SSSC six months after the day you started.
- keep their knowledge and training up to date in relation to their job.
- Express interest by competing our registration form or sending us your C.V.
- Complete our application form, which can be downloaded, emailed or posted to you.
- If from your application form, we consider you to have the right level of skills and abilities, we will arrange for you to have a face-to-face interview.
- At the interview, we will ask you to bring with you:
- confirmation that you are legally entitled to work in the UK, passport or identity card and National Insurance number
- certificates confirming any qualifications
- your most recent certificate confirming PVG scheme membership (if applicable)
- your completed PVG scheme membership form and appropriate fee (see below)
- SSSC registration certificate (if you have one)
- any other registration with a professional body e.g. Nursing and Midwifery Council or General Teaching Council
- your bank details to set up payroll.
If your interview is successful, we will countersign your PVG scheme membership application or renewal. To speed up the recruitment process, we will do this at the interview. You should bring with you:
- previous PVG scheme membership certificate or Disclosure certificate (if you have one)
- your passport
- two forms of ID, one of which must have a photograph of you (your passport can be used). Others include, birth certificate, utility bill with address, photographic driving licence
- list of all previous addresses in the last 10 years
- the disclosure fee, which is currently £59 for new applicants or £18 for an Existing PVG scheme member application.
Note: you are unable to start a role with Lothian Childcare Solutions until we receive a satisfactory PVG Scheme membership certificate. Please see our page with details of the PVG Scheme Membership and Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
Once we are satisfied that you have met the criteria for the role, we will inform you of what jobs we have that you might be interested in.
Rates of pay are dependent on experience.
Further information on both PVG membership and SSSC can be found at the following links: