A Mother's Helper provides support to parents in their own home while the parent is present. They do not have sole charge of children.
They can be hired to work on a temporary or permanent basis for a short, medium or longer period. They can work with a family full-time for an agreed period, for example to help out when a new baby arrives or after an operation. Or they can work with families indefinitely on set days and times each week to make things easier for parents. Mother/Parent helpers provide a much-needed extra pair of hands at busy or stressful times.
We work hard to match the right worker with each family depending on their needs and requests.
When you make an enquiry, we will arrange to visit you at home to find out your needs. This is a great opportunity to meet you and your family, give you the best possible service and help us match you to the most suitable person to support you in your home.
At this visit, we will also carry out a risk assessment of the environment to share with our member of staff before they visit for the first time.
We will arrange for our worker to visit you and your family before the agreed start date. This lets you decide if they are the best person to support you in your parenting role as well as discuss the tasks you would like them to support you with.
Recruitment process giving parents and guardians reassurance
During our recruitment process we ensure that candidates:
- are at least 18 years of age
- have previous experience working with children
- have a very good knowledge of how to meet children's needs
- have a good knowledge of how to plan and provide age appropriate activities
- join or update their PVG Scheme membership with Disclosure Scotland
- provide at least two names for us to obtain references
- are aware that we highly recommend undertaking a childhood first aid course and child protection as soon after they are recruited as possible.
Some may already hold a qualification in childcare and work within a childcare setting during the day, therefore they will have additional qualifications and be registered with SSSC. All information will be shared with families when arrangements are made.
Further information on both PVG membership and SSSC can be found at the following links: