Recruitment of Ex-Offenders
(last updated 25 May 2017)
Lothian Childcare Solutions Ltd as an organisation assessing applicants’ suitability for positions which are included in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order using criminal record checks processed through Disclosure Scotland and PVG registration. Lothian Childcare Solutions, complies fully with the code of practice and undertakes to treat all applicants for positions fairly.
Lothian Childcare Solutions undertakes not to discriminate unfairly against any subject of a criminal record check on the basis of a conviction or other information revealed.
- Lothian Childcare Solutions can only ask an individual to provide details of convictions and cautions that Lothian Childcare Solutions are legally entitled to know about. Where a disclosure certificate at either standard or enhanced level can legally be requested (where the position is one that is included in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 as amended, and where appropriate Police Act Regulations as amended)
- Lothian Childcare Solutions can only ask an individual about convictions and cautions that are not protected.
- Lothian Childcare Solutions is committed to the fair treatment of its staff, potential staff or users of its services, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, responsibilities for dependents, age, physical/mental disability or offending background
- Lothian Childcare Solutions has a written policy on the recruitment of ex-offenders, which is made available to all applicants at the start of the recruitment process
- Lothian Childcare Solutions actively promotes equality of opportunity for all with the right mix of talent, skills and potential and welcome applications from a wide range of candidates, including those with criminal records.
- Lothian Childcare Solutions select all candidates for interview based on their skills, qualifications and experience.
- All application forms, job adverts and recruitment briefs will contain a statement that an application for PVG Scheme Membership will be submitted as part of the recruitment process.
- Lothian Childcare Solutions ensures that all those in Lothian Childcare Solutions who are involved in the recruitment process have been suitably trained to identify and assess the relevance and circumstances of offences
- Lothian Childcare Solutions also ensures that they have received appropriate guidance and training in the relevant legislation relating to the employment of ex-offenders, e.g. the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
- At interview, or in a separate discussion, Lothian Childcare Solutions ensures that an open and measured discussion takes place on the subject of any offences or other matter that might be relevant to the position. Failure to reveal information that is directly relevant to the position sought could lead to withdrawal of an offer of employment
- Lothian Childcare Solutions makes every applicant aware of the existence of the SSSC code of practice and makes a copy available.
- Lothian Childcare Solutions undertakes to discuss any matter revealed on a Disclosure certificate with the individual seeking the position before withdrawing a conditional offer of employment.